So we dug out of this late spring snow here in Bismarck. We got anywhere from 18 to 20 inches of snow. To the north and west, they received a lot more. Now, as I wake up this Easter morning, and look out my window, we are getting yet another shot of snow. Maybe 2 to 4 inches this morning by the time it’s over.
So what is this doing for everyone? Well, for me it’s extremely tough on business. I’m monitoring it very closely. Yesterday I drove the river and looked into launching situations. Definitely a few places a person can get the boat in the water. The water clarity yesterday is what I deemed still fish catchable. I do anticipate this getting worse as the snow melts. For us here in Bismarck, a lot depends on the Knife river to our north. If this decides to release some flows with runoff, we are in trouble for awhile. The Knife is a mud producer for some reason.
For me I’m probably going to have to move my trips to the north above the Knife river and or Sakakawea for those of my clients who still want to fish. Again, the fish will be here, the problem with our fish locally when the water dirties up is they don’t bite very well. The shore guys still get a few, but the boat guys struggle until you can see the cavitation plate on your motor in the water. Being able to see it is what I consider catchable water clarity.
Like always I will continue to stay on top of things here and report back on Wednesday with my mid week report. As of yesterday the ramps you could get a boat in were Fox Island, Desert and maybe Misty but you would definitely have to break some ice on the way out. I know we needed the moisture so I’m definitely not complaining quite yet. As for all my clients coming up just stay in touch with me and we will do our best to find areas we can fish.