I was all ready to spend the week up at Devils Lake for 3 guide trips. After watching the news and seeing winds for the next 5 days anywhere from 25 to 45 mph I decided it wasn’t worth it. As I’ve gotten older I have come to realize I don’t hate walleyes that bad.
The good news is we rescheduled for next week. The bad news is I only got out a couple of times here before the winds. I had a decent Monday and a decent morning of scouting the Missouri River near Bismarck. I will say this, I might have stayed out on the river a little longer than I should have. My teeth are now whiter from the sandblasting I got navigating back to the ramp.
I did catch a few fish. Problem is right now is access. The ramps are getting pretty difficult to use. The water must be falling even more down south of town? I saw a small rig using Fort Rice this week. I have no idea how they did it? I tried getting a 17 foot tiller out of there last week and couldn’t do it. Guys are using the Hazelton ramp. Be prepared to suck up some sand though. You will be bumping sand the entire way out and if the water drops much more she’s gonna get extremely difficult and probably out of commission. Another problem you will run into at Hazelton, especially without any moving water, is it freezes up easily, so that’s another issue.
I am seeing a small push of fish moving up river. Solid bite happening now down near Mobridge, so hopefully we continue to see them moving north. Only time will tell. Nothing crazy yet, however with a majority of the fish are in the 13 to 15 inch range. Perfect for the frying pan! Our water temps are falling slowly, but I would like to see them dip below that 55 degree mark. I think that would really trigger the few fish that are around to eat.
I’m hoping to get out again this week. With the wind forecast however, I’m not so sure. Sounds like if weather corporates, western Sakakawea is kicking out some really nice fish. I’m also hearing rumors of a decent bite on the east end of Sakakawea also.